Thursday, March 31, 2005

 

Electronic Books

I've always thought the idea of books on computer is a great one in theory - you can have an entire library on somoething the size of a large book. Plus, you can search for certain bits of the text, easily get definitions for words and all sorts of other funky stuff that I sometimes find myself wishing for when dealing with a lump of dead tree. With things like Project Gutenberg and even Kazaa, you can get access to almost any famous or significant book in the world.

But, as I said, this idea is only good in theory. In practice, I don't like to read off a screen (at least anything of any real length). I don't like to scroll if I'm reading lots. I don't like no being able to move around easily, or lie down, or go outside (and a laptop doesn't help as much as you'd think). I've done it - I read the Hellbound Heart last year for example - but it's not great.

So that's why I thought this was interesting. Sure, it's not perfect - the "pages" are stored as jpegs, so for anything other than manga or a graphic novel you're going to be wasting a lot of space, and I think I'd miss having a physical page. But it's still pretty cool.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?