Wednesday, May 11, 2005

 

Modern peasants

It seems that pretty much everyone has their own remedy for fending off a cold. Some people gargle, some take antibiotics, some get flu shots, and some get really drunk. I guess it's because nothing really stops a cold - it's just one of those things you have to suffer through - so hundreds of superstitions have developed around it. Sometimes we're still just smelly peasants huddled in our little shacks stringing up garlic and throwing salt over our shoulder.

Over the last couple of days I've become more and more convinced that I'm coming down with a cold. Not surprising - it's about that time of year. Hopefully it will mean I'm immune for the rest of the season. It just means I'm looking forward to a week or so of snotty tissues and breathing through my mouth. I know it's not going to do any good, but I've still been popping vitamin tablets every morning this week - my own personal theory. It's a pity it's not going to work, but it's not going to do me any harm.

I just wish it didn't make my wee highlighter yellow...

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?